Home » Inspirational
Category Archives: Inspirational
Today’s Gunny’s Thoughts: Be A Leader
Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
What did you learn today?
What did you teach today?
Who did you motivate today?
Who did you encourage today?
Today’s Gunny’s Note: Failed Leadership
DID YOU FAIL (AGAIN)?
Have you ever fired, terminated, or laid off an employee?
We are all aware of some fundamental scope of circumstances, differences, or rational for letting someone go.
– Perhaps, there is a criminality factor – we can not save everyone.
– Violating Company policy or procedures – aka (we don’t like you).
– Maybe, the funding ran out for the project – two notable failures at the same time.
Discussing the issue of criminality in the workplace. We are concerned that those who violate the law, should be punished and should not be working with you. However, a deeper reflection could be the result that you are not offering a living wage, but instead a working wage.
* You didn’t take the time to speak to all employees or learn about THEM. Looking inward vice outward.
There could also be a personality conflict on the arisen, you let someone go because they violated a Company policy or procedure.
* You decided not to teach and reinforce the training.
The money simply ran out.
* You simply failed to plan, therefore you planned to fail.
Possible solution to these issues – the exist interview.
Here the leader and the employee need to interviewed. An open discussion as to who, what, where, when, and why the failure occurred.
* How else do you expect to grown as a leader?
* The leader should also write a letter of recommendation for the employee. This should be presented to the employee at the time of the interview. Yes, for everyone!
If you fancy yourself a leader, then you should already know that a leadership position is not 9 – 5 role. With the after hours phone calls, emails, or call outs. The trials and tribulations that your staff faces on the day-day business aspects.
Moreover, the stresses of being a leader intertwines with your personal life, creating havoc and chaos with the ones that you love the most can often be very frustrating.
Solution here – is to find an alternative stress reducer that is not self-destroying.
Still, employees leave either by design or by your epic failure of leadership. The key to being a leader is to actually care about those you wish to lead. Get involved, ask questions, be concerned. While, we can not solve everyone’s issues, but it does not mean we do not care. Just maybe, all you need to do is to listen.
The purpose of this post, is to spark real conversations.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!